As a result of the recent confirmation of the coronavirus in the state of Ohio, The Ohio State University has been proactively implementing protocols for insuring the safety and health for our students and clientele. This includes plans for State and County Extension Progrmas, including 4-H. You may also receive additional communications from the Ohio 4-H Office, depending on your role in that program.
After consultation with the college and university leadership, many Extension events have been postponed/cancelled, including county programs and 4-H club-based activities. Please see details below. We are following guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control, Ohio Department of Health, and the university in being aggressively proactive to prevent the potential spread of communicable respiratory illness.
Family Consumer Sciences:
- All events through May 15 have been cancelled. Please contact us at 419-334-6340 for details about rescheduling.
Agriculture / Natural Resources:
- All Pesticide Applicator training events have been cancelled and will be rescheduled. We are working with ODA to extend the deadline and will communicate those changes when details are available.
Based on these guidelines, all 4-H Clubs must postpone/cancel all face-to-face meetings and activities scheduled between now and May 15. Please note that these dates are subject to change based current developments.
The 4-H Enrollment Deadline has been extended through April 15. This deadline applies to all clubs and project changes, including those doing online enrollment. Online enrollment is being encouraged for all members. Paper enrollment may be sent through USPS.
In addition to all 4-H club meetings, the following list of 4-H events must also cancelled or postponed,
- 4-H Square Dance (will not be rescheduled)
- 4-H New Volunteer Orientation (will share an update with online options after April 1)
- 4-H Committee and 4-H Equine Committee meetings (Must cancel or meet virutally until after May 15)
- 4-H Shooting Sports Orientation and Kick Off Events scheduled for March (cancelled)
- 4-H Camp Counselor Training (will meet virutally until after May 15)
**We will be contacting camp counselors about virtual training and make-up training dates.
One of the best ways to prevent the spread of viral illnesses is to minimize the circumstances in which individuals might interact and transmit the diseases. The safety of our community is our top priority. We realize that our COVID-19 policy guidelines will cause disruption, but the risk of not acting outweighs the inconvenience of these temporary measures. We will share updates as more information becomes available.
Please contact the Extension office if you have any further questions.
Follow this link to hear President Michael V. Drake on what The Ohio State University is doing to address the challenges of the Coronavirus (COVID-19).